Are You at Risk?
- The macula is the central area of the retina, the delicate tissue in the back of the eye.
- A normla macula allows you to see fine details for activities like reading and driving.
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a common condition involving the macula.
- AMD is the leading cause of severe vision loss in people 50 years of age or older in the U.S.
- By age 60, one in ten people have signs of AMD. at age 75, this increased to one in three.
- Most people with AMD are not diagnosed until they have already suffered severe vision loss.
- White there is no cure, AMD can be slowed down with changes in nutrition and lifestyles.